Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. Through its more than 50,000 people across 93 countries, Thomson Reuters delivers this must-have insight to the financial, legal, tax and accounting, scientific, healthcare and media markets, and is powered by the world’s most trusted news organization. More information about Thomson Reuters and its financial performance can be found on http://www.ThomsonReuters.com http://www.thomsonreuters.com/
FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters Business is the legal industry’s most effective provider of client development services. FindLaw provides law firms with Web sites to generate lucrative new business through the web and uses technology to systematically build stronger, more profitable relationships with existing clients. Attorneys can also be prominently listed on our web portal, FindLaw.com, the world’s most-visited legal information site (www.findlaw.com.)
We are looking for a senior writer to develop blog posts and related content in the areas of legal professional news and information. This position will be based on our Sunnyvale, CA office. This is a full-time position.
Develop legal professionals blog posts reporting on news and related legal information of interest to legal professional audiences, in collaboration with an editor, including, but not limited to:
tracking legal news and developments in multiple court jurisdictions on a daily basis, using multiple information sources, and independently selecting appropriate news stories and topics for legal professional blog coverage;
issue spotting and developing previously unexplored legal angles or topics in current news stories;
creating informational content in the areas of legal technology, small firm management tips and techniques, in house counsel news and information, and legal lifestyle news and information for legal professional audiences at a national level; and
creating state and federal jurisdiction-based news and information content in the areas of case law development, court news, court rules, legal ethics and CLE compliance, and legal lifestyle for legal professional audiences and a jurisdictional level. (70%)
Assist editor in mentoring and training new writers, blog production and editing tasks, as needed, including topic sourcing, copyediting, metrics analysis and database maintenance. (15%)
Work with FindLaw Proprietary Sites Team to optimize blog posts using best practices in tagging, keyword usage, headline creation, well-formed HTML, content optimization and basic SEO. (10%)
Track blog post performance using multiple measures (e.g., traffic, syndication, conversion) and use performance measures to constantly refine posting style and improve post performance. (5%)
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- JD required.
- Current Bar membership and professional legal practice experience a plus, but not required.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills, with ability to write in a conversational tone and demonstrated ability to successfully write for the web.
- Mastery of high-volume, deadline-driven writing with the ability to turn out a developed, legally and factually accurate, 350 word blog post in under 60 minutes.
- Intermediate understanding of HTML and SEO.
- 2+ years of professional blogging or online media experience required.
- Internet savvy with experience using social media tools such as blogs, message boards, social networks, microblogging, social bookmarking and/or social sharing.
- Has an interest in writing about legal topics for a legal professional audience and following legal news and developments.
- Is comfortable working under an editor and recognizes the importance of constructive criticism.
- Works well in a team environment, embraces change and is highly adaptable.