The American Express General Counsel’s Office is seeking to hire an experienced, strategic and creative attorney to join its Technology & Digital Law Group. The Technology & Digital Law Group is a team of lawyers and paralegals that provides legal support to American Express in areas such as Internet and social media law, electronic and mobile commerce, online experiences and communications, data security, technology law, outsourcing, and general contracting. This position will serve as a key legal advisor to the Digital Partnerships & Development (DPD) internal client group, which is a fast-paced, forward-looking unit responsible for launching brand-building innovation on digital platforms, fostering digital and social media platform strategies, and expanding digital innovation to priority international markets. Past initiatives launched by the DPD group include the ‘Amex Offers’ programs on social platforms (Facebook, Foursquare and Twitter), the Amex Traveler integration with TripAdvisor, and the Membership Rewards integration with Uber, NYC taxi cabs and McDonald’s.
• Providing day-to-day legal advice and support to DPD in connection with the marketing and advertising of DPD’s new products and partnerships.
• Evaluating proposals and new concepts for marketing campaigns.
• Reviewing advertising, copy and promotional materials.
• Providing transactional support from time to time for a range of deals and arrangements.
• Ensuring all relevant legal issues are identified, understood and appropriately managed
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Qualifications• General knowledge of FTC regulations related to advertising and online commerce, advertising laws (state and federal), advertising and marketing industry guidelines and practices, Internet law, commercial contracts law, social media law, consumer protection laws, privacy and data protection laws, and intellectual property laws.
• Experience reviewing and advising marketing teams on legal issues related to advertising and marketing materials, including traditional advertising, point-of-sale materials, Internet, press releases, social media campaigns from inception to launch and beyond.
• Good understanding of claim substantiation in advertising including how to support proposed claims and what if any changes should be made.
• Experience in financial services and with financial regulators, particularly with respect to consumer financial services laws such as UDAAP and UDAP, a plus.
• Practical experience in dealing with business-level implications of marketing new digital products and services – Executive presence, client focus, and ability to build collaborative internal client relationships a must.
• Proven ability to provide sound legal advice, and effectively put into practice strategies and processes.
• Energetic, passionate, collaborates well in a team environment, great work ethic, strong personal accountability, and capable of handling multiple projects with tight deadlines.
• JD degree, New York Bar admission in good standing (or eligibility for admission), and ideally at least 5-7 years’ relevant legal experience (both major law firm and in-house legal department a plus).
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law. Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster.