Most fundamentally, the actions threaten the integrity of our community. Facebook strives to maintain a safe, trusted environment where people can engage in authentic interactions with the people they know and meet in real life. Using Facebook to impersonate others abuses that trust and makes people feel less safe and secure when using our service. Indeed, as we have observed at Facebook, such deceptive actions are often used to further harmful conduct, such as trolling, hate speech, scams, bullying, and even domestic violence. This impact is markedly different from undercover investigations conducted in the "real" world.
This letter was in response to earlier media reports which revealed that the DEA has in the past created bogus Facebook pages of real people. To read more about that story go here.
One more reason why courses like Social Media Law should be taught in law school. Here is a recent job announcement for a social media attorney.
Social Media – Digital Asset Attorney-14000005J5
Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott serves people in more than 150 countries and employs approximately 69,000 people.
Follow us on LinkedIn
Abbott seeks an attorney to provide legal support for social media and Internet communications over a variety of platforms. This newly created position will operate within our Corporate Legal Department and act as Legal’s primary representative/liaison working with Abbott’s Global Marketing Organization (GMO) in its online (internal and external) communications. This individual will participate in social media planning, media, and web initiatives, and will advise on e-commerce issues. Qualified candidates should have at least 5 years of relevant legal experience, including the following:
- An extensive understanding of the current global social media landscape, including all first-tier and many second-tier social media platforms, and associated legal and compliance risks
- A working understanding of e-commerce platforms and associated legal risks
- A desire to work in a rapidly evolving legal, communications and marketing environment
- An ability to work collaboratively with many different areas of the organization (including Public Affairs, Marketing, Ethics and Compliance, and Finance) and across all business units
- Exceptional communication, influencing, and organizational skills, and a highly pragmatic approach to analyzing potential legal risks and identifying mitigation strategies
- An ability to work under pressure, prioritize tasks, and work on multiple projects with numerous teams across diverse functions
- A clear understanding of the business environment for healthcare companies, including regulatory requirements related to marketing and advertising
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Acting as primary Legal contact with Abbott’s Global Marketing Organization (GMO), which owns and operates Abbott’s social media and other digital and Internet assets (web sites and applications), and serving in a Legal support role to Abbott’s business units and dedicated legal teams
- Collaborative development, evolution and implementation of governance processes for social and digital communications,
- Coordinating Legal input and approvals for corporate and business unit (global) social media and Internet assets (web sites and applications), including:
o Review and approval of new social media projects
o Review and consult on ongoing communications via corporate social media channels
o Development and deployment of mobile (iOS and Android) applications for internal and external use
- Acting as Legal’s representative on the Social Media Content Editorial Review Board, which vets social media strategies and planned content
- Acting as Legal’s liaison to the Mobile Center of Excellence, which vets mobile applications
- Providing Legal counsel to Corporate and business divisions regarding strategic program development, launch, operation and/or expansion of social media capabilities including region-specific channels
- Providing guidance to GMO and business divisions regarding jurisdictional issues related to social media and the deployment of mobile applications
- Coordinating with outside counsel to resolve novel questions in the burgeoning discipline of social media law and mobile medical application regulation
Minimum Experience / Training Required
Generally 7+ years of relevant experience
· Proficient in practice area