The December issue of Morrison Foerster’s Social Aware Newsletter is now available. Of the major law firms, none handle social media-related issues as well as Morrison Foerster. They not only have the deepest bench of practitioners who regularly deal with social media concerns, but also also maintain a great blog and put out a monthly newsletter on social media topics.
All this—plus an infographic about—what else?—Facebook likes.
FL Bill to Protect Employee Social Media Privacy
Following the growing trend across the country, Florida state senator Jeff Clemons has introduced legislation to safeguard the social media privacy of employees. Here is the text of SB 126.
An act relating to social media privacy; creating s. 448.077, F.S.; defining terms; prohibiting an employer from requesting or requiring access to a social media account of an employee or prospective employee under certain circumstances; prohibiting an employer from taking retaliatory personnel action for an employee’s refusal to allow access to his or her social media account; prohibiting an employer from failing or refusing to hire a prospective employee as a result of the prospective employee’s refusal to allow access to his or her social media account; authorizing civil action for a violation; requiring that the civil action be brought within a specified timeframe providing a penalty for a violation; providing for recovery of attorney fees and court costs; specifying that an employer is not prohibited from seeking access to social media accounts used primarily for the employer’s business purposes; providing an effective date.
Social Media Attorney Job Announcement with USAA.
- Applies detailed knowledge regarding relevant business, industry, and area of legal specialty.
- Handles a variety of moderately complex to complex legal assignments and projects.
- Conducts legal research and provides legal services. May assist more senior attorneys in highly complex legal services.
- Provides practical problem-solving on moderately complex to complex legal issues for various internal clients.
- Handles moderately complex to complex negotiations, drafting, and document creation.
- JD from an accredited law school.
- 3 or more years legal experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools and applicable software.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills.
- In good standing with State Bar Association.
- Experience working with regulated financial institutions.
- 3 to 5 years experience advising on any of the following: Social Media Law, Advertisitng Law, and or Privacy/Data/Security Law.
- Technical or related degree.
- Experience working as an attorney with regulated financial institutions preferred.
- Experience supporting a call center.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
Share our pride. Join our mission.
As a Fortune 200 financial services organization, USAA is on a mission – to facilitate the financial security of our members, the men and women of the U.S. military and their families worldwide by providing a full range of financial services and products. Headquartered on a showcase campus in San Antonio, TX, USAA attributes its long-standing success to its most valuable resource, our 26,000 employees. They are the heart and soul of our member-service culture.
Recently Ranked #17 in Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2014 and marking our fifth straight year in the list’s Top 50, we are proud to receive consistently outstanding awards and ratings for member service, employee well-being and financial strength. Everything that happens at USAA is based on our core values: Service, Loyalty, Honesty, and Integrity. These are the foundations of how we do business with our members, as well as how we treat each other.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including business casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
Qualified applicants must successfully complete a pre-employment background and drug screen.
USAA is an EEO/AA Employer – all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.